- Department of Neurosurgery, Hassan II Hospital, University Medical School Sidi Mohamed Ben Abdellah, Fez, Morocco.
DOI:10.25259/SNI_548_2020Copyright: © 2020 Surgical Neurology International This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial-Share Alike 4.0 License, which allows others to remix, tweak, and build upon the work non-commercially, as long as the author is credited and the new creations are licensed under the identical terms.
How to cite this article: Lakhdar F, Benzagmout M, Chakour K, Faiz Chaoui ME. Bumpy head, unusual gliosarcoma metastasis. Surg Neurol Int 25-Sep-2020;11:311
How to cite this URL: Lakhdar F, Benzagmout M, Chakour K, Faiz Chaoui ME. Bumpy head, unusual gliosarcoma metastasis. Surg Neurol Int 25-Sep-2020;11:311. Available from: https://surgicalneurologyint.com/?post_type=surgicalint_articles&p=10282
A 53-year-old man with no previous cancer history or radiation therapy presented to our emergency department with a 3-month history of headaches, vomiting, and multiple focal seizures. Physical examination revealed Glasgow Coma Scale 12, a Frisen Scale Grade II papilledema bilaterally and right hemiplegia. Brain MRI demonstrated a heterogeneous mass within the left frontal lobe, irregular rim of peripheral marginal enhancement, and central necrotic area with marked vasogenic edema causing a small uncal herniation [
Two months later, clinical examination displayed five subcutaneous mass, firm, and unmovable at the left temple and frontoparietal scalp [
1. Beaumont TL, Kupsky WJ, Barger GR, Sloan AE. Gliosarcoma with multiple extracranial metastases: Case report and review of the literature. J Neurooncol. 2007. 83: 39-46
2. Choi MG, Lee JH, Lee MS, Suh SJ, Lee YS, Kang DG. Primary gliosarcoma with extracranial metastasis. Brain Tumor Res Treat. 2020. 8: 53-6
3. Lun M, Lok E, Gautam S, Wu E, Wong ET. The natural history of extracranial metastasis from glioblastoma multiforme. J Neurooncol. 2011. 105: 261-73
4. Maeda D, Miyazawa T, Toyooka T, Shima K. Temporal gliosarcoma with extraneural metastasis: Case report. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo). 2010. 50: 343-5
5. Singh G, Das KK, Sharma P, Guruprasad B, Jaiswal S, Mehrotra A. Cerebral gliosarcoma: Analysis of 16 patients and review of literature. Asian J Neurosurg. 2015. 10: 195-202