- Department of Surgery, Division of Neurosurgery, University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio, United States.
Andrew Leland Waack, Department of Surgery, Division of Neurosurgery, University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio, United States.
DOI:10.25259/SNI_580_2023Copyright: © 2023 Surgical Neurology International This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial-Share Alike 4.0 License, which allows others to remix, transform, and build upon the work non-commercially, as long as the author is credited and the new creations are licensed under the identical terms.
How to cite this article: Waack AL, Bhavsar AD, Ranabothu MR, Hoyt AT, Schroeder JL. Letter to the editor regarding “unusual extraneural metastasis of glioblastoma”. Surg Neurol Int 25-Aug-2023;14:302
How to cite this URL: Waack AL, Bhavsar AD, Ranabothu MR, Hoyt AT, Schroeder JL. Letter to the editor regarding “unusual extraneural metastasis of glioblastoma”. Surg Neurol Int 25-Aug-2023;14:302. Available from: https://surgicalneurologyint.com/surgicalint-articles/12511/
We recently read with great interest “Unusual extraneural metastasis of glioblastoma (GBM)” by Achi et al., who describe their case of a GBM lung metastasis.[
GBM has classically been considered incapable of extracranial metastasis since Cushing and Bailey’s famous 1926 report.[
Iatrogenic tumor spread appears to be the main mechanism by which GBM spreads outside of the head.[
However, it is important to note that cases of extracranial GBM metastases have been reported independent of any intervention,[
The brain does not contain a traditional lymphatic drainage system; however, a recently described “glymphatic” system has revolutionized the understanding of intracranial fluid dynamics.[
The low reported rate of GBM metastasis is due to the rate of mortality before the development of a recognizable extracranial tumor: [
Patient’s consent not required as there are no patients in this study.
There are no conflicts of interest.
The author(s) confirms that there was no use of Artificial Intelligence (AI)-Assisted Technology for assisting in the writing or editing of the manuscript and no images were manipulated using the AI.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Journal or its management. The information contained in this article should not be considered to be medical advice; patients should consult their own physicians for advice as to their specific medical needs.
1. Achi J, Achi XW, Veintimilla P, Cueva J. Unusual extraneural metastasis of glioblastoma. Surg Neurol Int. 2023. 14: 218
2. Alhoulaiby S, Abdulrahman A, Alouni G, Mahfoud M, Shihabi Z. Extra-CNS metastasis of glioblastoma multiforme to cervical lymph nodes and parotid gland: A case report. Clin Case Rep. 2020. 8: 1672-7
3. Baskurt O, Kurtulus Y, Yavuz AY, Avci İ. Extracranial metastasis of recurrent glioblastoma to the parotid gland: A case report and review of the literature. Egypt J Neurosurg. 2022. 37: 25
4. Benveniste H, Liu X, Koundal S, Sanggaard S, Lee H, Wardlaw J. The glymphatic system and waste clearance with brain aging: A review. Gerontology. 2019. 65: 106-19
5. Carvalho J, Barbosa CC, Feher O, Maldaun MV, Camargo VP, Moraes FY. Systemic dissemination of glioblastoma: Literature review. Rev Assoc Med Bras (1992). 2019. 65: 460-8
6. Chretien F, Gray F, Funalot B, Authier FJ, Peltier E, Lange F. Extracerebral metastases of a glioblastoma, in the absence of surgery. Arch Anat Cytol Pathol. 1995. 43: 342-9
7. Cushing H, Bailey P. A classification of the tumors of the glioma group on a histogenetic basis with a correlated study of prognosis. J Am Med Assoc. 1926. 87: 268
8. Dolman CL. Lymph node metastasis as first manifestation of glioblastoma. Case report. J Neurosurg. 1974. 41: 607-9
9. Ghous G, Miller D, Doll D, Tuncer T. A rare case of glioblastoma with extensive liver metastases. Oncology (Williston Park). 2021. 35: 733-40
10. Granados AM, Zuniga N, Ospina C, Merchancano L. Secondary glioblastoma with abdominal metastasis: Case report. Radiol Case Rep. 2018. 13: 347-51
11. Hamilton JD, Rapp M, Schneiderhan T, Sabel M, Hayman A, Scherer A. Glioblastoma multiforme metastasis outside the CNS: Three case reports and possible mechanisms of escape. J Clin Oncol. 2014. 32: e80-4
12. Jessen NA, Munk AS, Lundgaard I, Nedergaard M. The glymphatic system: A Beginner’s guide. Neurochem Res. 2015. 40: 2583-99
13. Liu J, Shen L, Tang G, Tang S, Kuang W, Li H. Multiple extracranial metastases from glioblastoma multiforme: A case report and literature review. J Int Med Res. 2020. 48:
14. Ogungbo BI, Perry RH, Bozzino J, Mahadeva D. Report of GBM metastasis to the parotid gland. J Neurooncol. 2005. 74: 337-8
15. Onda K, Tanaka R, Takahashi H, Takeda N, Ikuta F. Cerebral glioblastoma with cerebrospinal fluid dissemination: A clinicopathological study of 14 cases examined by complete autopsy. Neurosurgery. 1989. 25: 533-40
16. Pasquier B, Pasquier D, N’Golet A, Panh MH, Couderc P. Extraneural metastases of astrocytomas and glioblastomas: Clinicopathological study of two cases and review of literature. Cancer. 1980. 45: 112-25
17. Piccirilli M, Brunetto GM, Rocchi G, Giangaspero F, Salvati M. Extra central nervous system metastases from cerebral glioblastoma multiforme in elderly patients. Clinico-pathological remarks on our series of seven cases and critical review of the literature. Tumori. 2008. 94: 40-51
18. Rosen J, Blau T, Grau SJ, Barbe MT, Fink GR, Galldiks N. Extracranial metastases of a cerebral glioblastoma: A case report and review of the literature. Case Rep Oncol. 2018. 11: 591-600
19. Rossi J, Giaccherini L, Cavallieri F, Napoli M, Moratti C, Froio E. Extracranial metastases in secondary glioblastoma multiforme: A case report. BMC Neurol. 2020. 20: 382
20. Stoyanov GS, Petkova L, Iliev B, Ali M, Toncheva B, Georgiev R. Extracranial glioblastoma metastasis: A neuropathological case report. Cureus. 2023. 15: e35803
21. Sun Q, Xu R, Xu H, Wang G, Shen X, Jiang H. Extracranial metastases of high-grade glioma: The clinical characteristics and mechanism. World J Surg Oncol. 2017. 15: 181
22. Swinnen J, Gelin G, Fransis S, Vandevenne J, Van Cauter S. Glioblastoma with extracranial parotid, lymph node, and pulmonary metastases: A case report. Radiol Case Rep. 2019. 14: 1334-47
23. Taha M, Ahmad A, Wharton S, Jellinek D. Extra-cranial metastasis of glioblastoma multiforme presenting as acute parotitis. Br J Neurosurg. 2005. 19: 348-51
24. Undabeitia J, Castle M, Arrazola M, Pendleton C, Ruiz I, Urculo E. Multiple extraneural metastasis of glioblastoma multiforme. An Sist Sanit Navar. 2015. 38: 157-61
25. Wu X, Wang J, Wang Y. Multiple intracranial and extracranial metastases from postoperative glioblastoma: A case report and review of the literature. Interdiscip Neurosurg. 2021. 24: 101025
26. Zhang W, Cai YY, Wang XL, Wang XX, Li Y, Han GY. Bone metastases of glioblastoma: A case report and review of the literature. Front Oncol. 2021. 11: 705455